Monday, March 2, 2009

Scor-it Project of the Month - Slice of cake

I was so excited when I was asked to do the Project of the Month by Tim at Scor-it! I won their mini Scor-it last year for one of my cards being picked as Card of the Week at 2Sketches4You and have been using this handy tool ever since for all my scoring needs. I really love how easy it is to score with it and I highly recommend it, and I know I am not alone in that.

So, I created this little tutorial on how to make a slice of cake. I have seen a few of these projects before and I have always loved the way they looked, so when I was thinking of what I should make, this popped into my head. For the Project I choose to work with Basic Grey's Bittersweet paperline, which I just love. So, are you ready to learn how I made this pretty slice of cake?

First of all, I printed the cake template on the back side of my patterned paper, which I found on Mirkwood designs and you can download here.

Once downloaded I cut out the pattern.

Since the template included the scoring lines, it was very easy to score with lining them up and scoring it with my mini Scor-it as shown in the picture.

Once all lines have been scored, I folded it and burnished it with my Scor-it tool to get it ready for easy assembly of the slice of cake.

I added sticky tape strategically on the flaps as shown in picture below.

Then I just started assembling it, so I ended up with a slice of cake.

After that it was just to decorate the cake, so I added a beautiful trim on the top edges of my cake, than cut out a tag using one of my Cuttlebug Vintage dies, which is my favorite for tags. I stamped the Birthday Wishes using a K& CO stamp and cut out part of it just to fit into the tag.


Finally I added a beautiful silk ribbon from my stash around my cake and pretty little flowers from the bridal section of Michael's, than attached my tag with a safety pin to the ribbon and my cake was ready to go. Isn't it pretty???

Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and hope I inspired you to make a pretty little cake as well. They can be for any occasion really and so easy to make, yet can be a very beautiful gift to give someone. If you don't have a Scor-it tool yet, and would like one, please check out the Scor-it website as they have a section on where to buy these handy tools. If you already have one, let me know how you like yours. Oh, and if you make a cake, I would love to see it, so can you link it up in the comments section? I love to be inspired..

Have a fabulous week!
Love,
Eva

14 comments :

Laura O'Donnell said...

This is great! I have a scor-it, I'd like to try this.

Kim said...

Eva, this is just beautiful! I have a Scor-it and I love it! I am going to do one of these as a store sample! I will post it when it's done!!
Thank you for the inspiration!!
:)
Kim

Heidi Van Laar said...

This is BEAUTIFUL Eva! I love the embellishment on the top! Yum, yum, yum!

(-: Heidi

Ewonne said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!!!! Thanks for the tutorial ♥

Pinklilac said...

Hi Eve Another beautiful creation and colour. I would love to own a scor-it but I will have to wait till I go back to the UK. Love what you did.
Hugs Linda

debbiefitz said...

oooh, this is just stunning!
Wonderful tutorial!

susan m said...

You make it look so easy. And what a gorgeous slice of cake it is!!

Crafty Gurlz said...

I love it! Your pictures are so nice and perfect as well. I may need to pay you a visit so you can teach me how to take great blog pictures. LOL

Linda Cain said...

Simply Stunning!

Linda

thefrugalcrafter said...

very nice!

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! How delicious does this Slice of Cake look, Eva! So gorgeous. Beautiful masterpiece my friend!

heidi baldini said...

EVA!!! I LOVE THIS!!!!!! SOOO PRETTY & CUTE!!!!

Terri B said...

That is just stunning!! Absolutely love it!

~Lori (loree2000 SCS) said...

EWWWW WHEEE!! I am so going to make one of those!! I've drooled over them many times before!! Thanks for the tut and template!!

Yours is spectacular!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin